The crystalline lens, which sits inside the eye, allows us to focus on objects near and far. The lens is thin, soft, and clear throughout our youth, but the gradual buildup of protein that begins in our 40s or 50s makes the lens thick, rigid, and opaque. Left untreated, the cataract will disrupt vision, and can eventually cause blindness.
Symptoms of cataracts include:
- foggy or blurred vision, with less light reaching the retina
- sensitivity to light, especially strong sunlight
- difficulty seeing at night, especially while driving, when the headlights of approaching cars appear dispersed
- frequently needing to update your eyeglass prescription
- colors becoming less vivid and more yellow
- images appearing in duplicate, even with only one eye open
- halos around lit objects
Besides aging, cataracts can develop due to
- medical conditions, such as diabetes
- head trauma
- eye injuries
- excessive smoking and drinking
- Poor nutrition
What Can be Done About Cataracts?
Wearing sunglasses, ingesting Vitamins C and E, and eating antioxidant-rich fruits, vegetables, and nuts can delay the onset of cataracts.
If you suspect you may have cataracts, the first step is to contact , where will conduct a thorough examination, including dilating your pupils to check for possible protein buildup on your crystalline lens. If you have cataracts but can still see well, you might benefit from a strengthened eyeglass prescription.
When updating your prescription ceases to help, cataract surgery is the best solution. In that case, will speak with you about the advantages of cataract surgery. If the examination finds cataracts in both eyes, the procedures will almost certainly be performed on separate days to allow each eye to recover independently.
During cataract surgery, will replace the affected lens with an artificial lens. It is done on an outpatient basis, is virtually painless, and has a very high rate of success.
At , we care for patients with cataracts from Terre Haute, Bloomington, Youngstown, Vigo County, and throughout Indiana .